Breast reduction surgery is one of the procedures in plastic surgery that can help a woman solve physical and aesthetic issues concerning her body. Every woman desires to have the ideal breast shape and size that is proportionate to their figure. Having an ideal breast can make a woman appear sexier and more youthful; this is why a lot of women go through breast surgeries.
For women who have problems with excessively large breasts, breast reduction surgery has been the best option since it can provide quick results. If you are someone having issues with large breasts, this article will let you know more about breast reduction surgery and why you should undergo the procedure.
What is Breast Reduction Surgery?
Breast reduction surgery, also known as reduction mammaplasty, is a cosmetic and medical procedure that allows the removal of excess fats, skin, and tissue from the breast. This procedure is for someone who is experiencing psychological and physical problems due to large breasts or macromastia.
Breast Reduction Surgery Procedure
Breast reduction surgery time takes between 2-5 hours, depending on the complexity of the patient’s case. A board-certified plastic surgeon that has credible experience in breast reduction surgery should perform the procedure to make sure that the results are successfully achieved and also to avoid complications. The technique used depends on the condition of the breast and what the patient wants to obtain from the surgery. The following are the steps done in a breast reduction surgery:
Your doctor will decide as to which anesthesia to administer. The usual options are general anesthesia and IV sedation.
- Circular or “Donut” breast reduction
- This technique is for patients who only need a slight to moderate decrease in breast size and whose excessive breast size is mainly because of fats. A liposuction procedure alone is enough to reduce breast size.
- Vertical or “Lollipop” breast reduction
- This technique is for those who need moderate breast reduction and have visibly sagging breasts. The lollipop breast reduction involves two incisions that allow room for the doctor to remove excess, fats, tissue, and skin while also lifting the chest to make it look more youthful.
- Inverted-T or “Anchor” breast reduction
- This technique is for patients who need significant breast reduction, have considerable sagging, and have asymmetrical breasts. This involves three incisions that allow maximum removal of skin and tissue as well as reshaping of the chest.
Tissue removal and repositioning
- Once they have made the proper incisions, fats, tissue, and skin are removed, lifted, and shaped. For those with larger breasts, the areola may be removed and transplanted to a higher position. If necessary, the skin around the areola can also be reduced to match the new breast size and shape.
Closing of the incision
- Your doctor will close the incisions they made as well as reshape the breast using sutures, skin adhesives, or surgical tape. The incision scars are permanent but usually fade after some time.
Breast Reduction Surgery recovery
After a breast reduction surgery, there is a possibility that you will have to stay in the hospital for 24 hours for them to monitor your recovery. You will see the results right after the procedure, but it will not be the final appearance since there will be swelling and bruising.
They will also provide you with a specialized bra that will help ease the swelling and support your pre-surgical breast shape and size. Your doctor will inform you as to when you can go back to wearing a regular bra and what you can wear while you are still recovering from the surgery. To recover faster, your doctor may advise that you take a week or two off from work and any strenuous activities.
Breast Reduction Surgery Before and After
Undergoing a breast reduction surgery can be invasive, but can solve both physical and psychological issues that someone may be experiencing because of large breasts. The results are permanent; however, it can still change over time because of aging, weight fluctuations, and hormonal imbalances.
As seen on the before and after images below, the results of breast reduction surgery have guaranteed results and do not have visible incision scars. The patients’ breasts have changed significantly to a better size and shape that is proportionate to their body figure. Also, their breasts now appear to look like the natural and ideal breasts. This is due to the sagging being eliminated, and the areola being repositioned to a correct position. Not only did breast reduction surgery improve the shape and size, but it also improved the appearance, making the breasts look more youthful.
Breast reduction surgery is one of the breast surgeries that have been trusted in improving the breast shape, size, and appearance due to macromastia. The procedure not only improves the appearance but also provides a solution to physical pains that a woman experiences due to large breasts.
Depending on the technique used, the procedure can be mildly invasive or fully invasive. The three methods all have their uses depending on every patient’s case and what the patient wants to achieve. When it comes to recovery, most recover after a week or two with proper post-surgery care. With the help of a well experienced plastic surgeon, the results of a breast reduction surgery can be promising and permanent. However, since aging continues no matter what surgery you undergo, proper maintenance of weight is needed to ensure that you will experience the results longer.
If you have been dealing with the negative effects of macromastia, then a breast reduction surgery is especially for you. You may contact Seoul Guide Medical through our website, and we will take you to the best doctors and clinics in South Korea for you to achieve the ideal breast size, shape, and appearance.
For whom is Breast Reduction Surgery most recommended?
Breast reduction surgery is most recommended for women who have large breasts that are not in proportion to their body frame. Also, if the large breasts are causing neck, back, and shoulder pain as well as hindering someone from doing proper physical activities, then breast reduction surgery is a must. Other candidates for breast reduction surgery include:
- Those who have heavy breasts with nipples pointing downward
- Those who have poor posture due to large breasts
- Those who have trouble breathing because of the pressure that the breasts exert on the chest
- Those who are conscious about the appearance of their breast
- Those who have no plans of breastfeeding
Is Breast Reduction Surgery permanent?
The results of a breast reduction surgery are permanent. However, since the aging process will continue, your breast can still change as you age. For the results to last long despite aging-related changes, you must maintain proper weight.
What must I expect after Breast Reduction Surgery?
After undergoing breast reduction surgery, expect that you will have bruising, swelling, and pain in the breast area. You might also experience numbness in the breast that will last for several days. Your chest will be covered with bandages and draining tubes for the first two weeks, but the results will already be visible despite the swelling and bruising. Also, expect that you are not allowed to do any strenuous physical activities while you are healing from the surgery.